LAFAYETTE, La. - The University of Denver women's tennis squad earned victories in five of its six singles matches against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday, helping the Pioneers to a 5-2 win at the Cajun Courts.
Junior Steffi Rath (Hochst, Austria) claimed her team-leading 18th singles win on the season for the Pioneers (11-8), defeating Sandra Ahlqvist 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 5 position.
Juniors Sophia Bergner (Schechen, Germany) and Emma Isberg (Tyreso, Sweden), along with sophomores Caroline Schnell (Greenwood Village, Colo.) and Natalie Dunn (Fort Collins, Colo.) each were triumphant in their singles matches, clinching the Pioneers' victory.
The Pioneers dropped the doubles point to open the match against the Ragin' Cajuns (4-12). Sophomore Elena Najera (San Diego, Calif.) and Dunn scored the Pioneers lone doubles win.
Denver will continue on the road Sunday against Tulane at 9 a.m., from the Goldring Tennis Center in New Orleans, La.
Visit www.DenverPioneers.com for the most comprehensive coverage of Denver women's tennis, as well as all of DU's 17 athletic programs.
Denver 5, Louisiana 2
Friday, April 6, 2012
1. Sophia Bergner (DEN) def. Milou Israel (UL) 6-2, 6-2
2. Erin Wilbert (UL) def. Elena Najera (DEN) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. Caroline Schnell (DEN) def. Sop. van den Aarssen (UL) 6-1, 6-4
4. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Tara Vasovic (UL) 7-5, 6-2
5. Steffi Rath (DEN) def. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) 6-2, 6-4
6. Natalie Dunn (DEN) def. Hannah Appleyard (UL) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3