DENVER - The University of Denver men's tennis team defeated UC- Santa Barbara, 4-3 at the Gates Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Pioneers took the early 1-0 lead after defeating UC-Santa Barbara in two of three doubles matches.
No. 67 Enej Bonin (Koper, Slovenia) routed UC-Santa Barbara's Benjamin Recknagel 6-0, 6-2 in No. 1 singles play. Senior Fabio Biasion (Velbert, Germany) defeated Alexander Gryaznov 6-2, 6-1 and Junior Alex Clinkenbeard (Loveland, Colo.) rolled Andrew Riminton 6-0, 6-2 to help the Pioneers claim the 4-3 victory.
"It feels great for the team to finally be rewarded for the hard work and perseverance.” said Head Coach Danny Westerman. “The boys have been doing a good job fighting hard and they deserved this win. We are not quite where we want to be with our tennis yet, but I am sure we will get there.”
The Pioneers next match is Friday, April 5 against Seattle. The match will take place at Gates Tennis Center at 12 p.m. (MT).
1. No. 67 Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB), 6-0, 6-2
2. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN), 6-1, 6-4
3. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) def. Henry Craig (DEN), 6-2, 6-0
4. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Max Krammer (DEN), 6-1, 6-4
5. Fabio Biasion (DEN) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB), 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB), 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,1,3,5,2,4
1. Vorkefeld/Bonin (DEN) def. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB), 8-4
2. Krammer/Biasion (DEN) def. Recknagel/Bouillin (UCSB), 9-8 (3)
3. Manley/Craig (DEN) vs. Riminton/Seemann (UCSB), DNF 8-7
Order of finish: 1,2
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS-
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Men's Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_MTennis Twitter