LOGAN, Utah – The University of Denver No. 61 women's tennis team swept its Saturday doubleheader defeating No. 66 San Jose State 4-3 and Seattle 4-0 in Logan, Utah.
The Pioneers first faced No. 66 San Jose State. The Pioneers fell in two of three doubles matches to trail 1-0 going into singles play.
In singles, senior Emma Isberg (Tyreso, Sweden) defeated SJSU's Chau Truong 6-4, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. Sophomore Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (Best, Netherlands) claimed a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 victory over Erica Medlin in No. 4 singles. Freshman Kathryn Hughes (Wrexham, Wales) beat Julianna Bacelar 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 and senior Steffi Rath (Höchst, Austria) beat Jessica Willet 6-2, 7-6 (5) to help the Pioneers to claim their first dual, 4-3.
In the Pioneers second match against Seattle, they captured the doubles point winning two of three matches.
In singles, senior Sophia Bergner (Schechen, Germany) beat Seattle's Lindsey Newman 6-1, 6-2. Junior Caroline Schnell (Greenwood Village, Colo.) defeated Anna Lambert 6-1, 6-2 in No. 2 singles. Isberg claimed a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Gabriella Weissman to help propel the Pioneers past Seattle, 4-0.
The two wins put the Pioneers at 13-3 overall and No. 1 with a 6-0 record in Western Athletic Conference (WAC) play.
Denver's next match is against Utah State on Saturday, April 13 at 10 a.m. (MT) in Las Cruces, N.M.
Match Against San Jose State:
1. Klaudia Beczova (SJSU) def. Sophia Bergner (DEN) 6-2, 6-4
2. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Caroline Schnell (DEN) 6-1, 6-3
3. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Kathryn Hughes (DEN) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Steffi Rath (DEN) def. Jessica Willet (SJSU) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
1. Bergner/Rath (DEN) vs Leon Chao/Medlin (SJSU) DNF
2. Willet/Baczora (SJSU) def. Isburg/van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) 8-5
3. Truong/Bacler (SJSU) def. Schnell/Hughes (DEN) 8-1
Match against Seattle:
1. Sophia Bergner (DEN) def. Lindsey Newman (SU), 6-1 6-2
2. Caroline Schnell (DEN) def. Anna Lambert (SU), 6-1 6-2
3. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU), 6-1 6-1
4. Kathryn Hughes (DEN) vs. Sarah Lucas (SU), DNF 6-2 4-2
5. Steffi Rath (DEN) vs. Corinne Wurden (SU), DNF 3-2
6. Charlotte Derbyshire (DEN) vs. Kristen Sames (SU), DNF 0-0
1. Bergner/Rath (DEN) def. Newman/Lucas (SU), 8-0
2. Isberg/Vandeneerenbeemt (DEN) def. Mortera/Weissmann (SU), 8-0
3. Schnell/Garpenlov (DEN) vs. Wurden/Jones (SU), DNF 6-2
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Women’s Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_WTennis Twitter