SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The University of Denver men's tennis team defeated UT-San Antonio 4-3 on Sunday. The win improves the Pioneers to 8-11 overall and 4-0 in Western Athletic Conference (WAC) play.
The Pioneers fell to the Roadrunners in two of three doubles matches to trail 1-0 going into singles play.
In singles, junior Alex Clinkenbeard (Loveland, Colo.) defeated UT-San Antonio's Eric Buchalter 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 6 spot. Senior and ITA-ranked No. 50 Enej Bonin (Koper, Slovenia) beat Martin Ayala 6-2, 6-1 in No. 1 singles. Senior Jens Vorkefeld (Perchtoldsdorf, Austria) claimed a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Diogo Casa in No. 2 singles. Freshman Henry Craig (Murrieta, Calif.) beat Tyler Brown 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 to pick up the decisive fourth point and defeat the Roadrunners, 4-3.
“Overall we put in a good performance today.” said Head Coach Danny Westerman. “There are still a couple areas we can play better in and we will get a chance to get those right in our last matches next weekend.”
Craig's victory at No. 4 singles was his second dual-clinching win in his young career at DU.
“I was very impressed with the way our freshman Henry Craig was able to battle back from 0-3 down in the third set to come back and clinch the win.” said Westerman. “Hope we can continue to get better this week.”
The Pioneers next match is Friday, April 19 against Utah State. The match begins at 12 p.m. (MT) at Gates Tennis Center.
1. Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA), 6-2, 6-1
2. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA), 6-2, 6-3
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Max Krammer (DEN), 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
4. Henry Craig (DEN) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Fabio Biasion (DEN) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA), 6-1, 6-1
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Bonin/Vorkefeld (DEN), 8-6
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Krammer/Biasion 86
3. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) vs. Manley/Craig (DEN), DNF 7-6
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS-
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Men's Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_MTennis Twitter