The Pioneers won two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point and take a 1-0 lead into singles play.
Senior Emma Isberg (Tyreso, Sweden) defeated New Mexico State's Denise Van Der Ben 6-1, 6-3 in No. 3 singles to claim the first singles point for the Pioneers. Senior Steffi Rath (Höchst, Austria) defeated Mia Brandt 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 6 singles slot. Junior Caroline Schnell (Greenwood Village, Colo.) beat Jodie Williams, 6-1, 6-1 in No. 2 singles to gain the decisive fourth point and help the Pioneers defeat the Aggies, 4-0.
The No. 1 seeded Pioneers continue their march toward the WAC title Friday at 2 p.m. (MT) at Gates Tennis Center when they battle No. 5 Idaho in the semifinals.
1. Sophia Bergner (DEN) vs. Ginet Pinero (NMSU), DNF 7-6, 2-1
2. Caroline Schnell (DEN) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Annemieke Witte (NMSU), DNF 7-6(4)
5. Kathryn Hughes (DEN) vs. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU), DNF 6-4, 2-1
6. Steffi Rath (DEN) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2
1. Bergner/Rath (DEN) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU), 8-5
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Williams/Van Der Ben (NMSU), DNF 6-5
3. Schnell/Hughes (DEN) def. Witte/Brandt (NMSU), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Women’s Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_WTennis Twitter