The Pioneers defeated the Vandals in two of three doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead into singles play.
Senior Emma Isberg (Tyreso, Sweden) routed Idaho's Constance Alexander 6-1, 6-0 in No. 3 singles to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead. Senior Steffi Rath(Höchst, Austria) continued playing impressive singles by defeating Sophie Vickers 6-4, 6-3 in No. 6 singles. Junior Caroline Schnell (Greenwood Village, Colo.) powered past Almudena Sanz 6-1, 6-4 in No. 2 singles to give the Pioneers the 4-0 victory, and advance to the WAC finals.
The No. 1 seeded Pioneers battle No. 2 San Jose State in the WAC finals on Saturday, April 27. The match begins at 2 p.m. (MT) from Gates Tennis Center.
1. Sophia Bergner (DEN) vs. Victoria Lozano (IDAHO), DNF 7-6, 3-5
2. Caroline Schnell (DEN) def. Almudena Sanz (IDAHO), 6-1, 6-4
3. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Constance Alexander (IDAHO), 6-1, 6-0
4. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Beatriz Flores (IDAHO), DNF 7-5, 0-4
5. Kathryn Hughes vs. Belen Barcenilla (IDAHO), DNF 3-6, 6-3, 3-1
6. Steffi Rath (DEN) def. Sophie Vickers (IDAHO), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6
1. Bergner/Rath (DEN) def. Lozano/Sanz (IDAHO), 8-6
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Lozano/Vickers (IDAHO), DNF 6-6
3. Schnell/Hughes (DEN) def. Bermudez/Flores (IDAHO), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Women’s Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_WTennis Twitter