The Pioneers dropped the doubles point after surrendering two of three doubles matches to the Aggies. The senior tandem of Enej Bonin (Koper, Slovenia) and Jens Vorkefeld (Ostercappeln, Germany) picked up Denver's only doubles victory, defeating New Mexico State's Luis Ramirez and Paul Denele in a 9-8 (7) thriller.
In singles, freshman Henry Craig (Murrieta, Calif.) claimed a 6-2, 6-1 win over New Mexico State's Germain Degardin in No. 4 singles to even the score at 1-1. Redshirt senior Max Krammer (Perchtoldsdorf, Austria) defeated Marc Westgate, 6-2, 6-3 in No. 3 singles play. In No. 1 singles play, ITA-ranked No. 55 Bonin beat Ramirez 6-3, 6-3 in a hard-hitting match. Junior Alex Clinkenbeard (Loveland, Colo.) defeated Patrick Pfister 7-5, 7-5 to pick up the fourth point for the Pioneers and clinch the dual, 4-1.
The win advances the Pioneers to their first WAC Championship Finals. The Pioneers will face No. 2 seeded Idaho at 10 a.m. (MT) at Gate Tennis Center.
1. Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) vs. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN), DNF 7-5, 4-6, 1-0
3. Max Krammer (DEN) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Henry Craig (DEN) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Fabio Biasion (DEN) vs.. Paul Denele (NMSU), DNF 4-6, 6-2, 3-3
6. Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU), 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 3, 1, 6
1. Bonin/Vorkefeld (DEN) def. Ramirez/Denele (NMSU), 9-8 (7)
2. Westgate/Fernandez (NMSU) def. Krammer/Biasion (DEN), 9-8 (4)
3. Blank/Manivannan (NMSU) def. Clinkenbeard/Craig (DEN), 9-8 (6)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
Visit DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS-
Like Denver Pioneers and Denver Men's Tennis on Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneers and @DU_MTennis Twitter