[6/5] Denver Travels to [10/10] North Carolina Monday
Pioneers set for first of two straight games against ACC foes on the road
March 4, 2018
THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
• Trevor Baptiste won 22-consecutive faceoffs for the second-straight game and finished 23-of-24 on the day with 17 ground balls in Denver’s 13-8 win at Furman on Saturday. Ethan Walker finished with seven points on four goals and three assists and Colton Jackson scored four times.
• Denver continues its three-game road swing with a tight turn around as the Pioneers head to North Carolina Monday for a 4 p.m. ET/2 p.m. MT faceoff in Chapel Hill. The game will be broadcast live on ACC Network and on the radio in Denver on ESPN Denver 1600. Denver is 5-10 all-time against North Carolina, including 2-6 in Chapel Hill.
• Following the Pioneers return to the Mile High City on Tuesday, Denver will get back on a plane Friday to square off with Notre Dame March 10 at 2:30 p.m. ET/12:30 p.m. MT on ESPNU. Denver has won its last six against the Irish, including a 16-4 victory in the 2017 NCAA Quarterfinals.
THE TIERNEY FILE
• Head coach Bill Tierney is in his ninth season with the Pioneers, holding a 112-33 record at DU and a 384-126 career record in his 34th season.
• Tierney became the first coach to win National Championships with two different programs in 2015, and has an NCAA-best seven men’s lacrosse national titles to his name (six at Princeton).
• Tierney is also the first coach to win 100 of his first 140 games in charge at two different programs.
• Tierney became the third DI coach to record 350 wins in 2015 at Villanova, and is second in wins (384 - RIT/Princeton/Denver 1982-pres.) by a Division I head coach, behind John Danowski (387 - LIU Post/Hofstra/Duke - 1983-pres.).
X MARKS THE SPOT
• Faceoff man Trevor Baptiste is 956-1341(.713) from the X in his career, setting Denver’s school record for career faceoff wins on April 1, 2017 vs. Georgetown, and is third in NCAA history in that category (fourth in ground balls as well).
• Baptiste has had double-digit faceoff wins in 55-of-56 games (2018 opener at Air Force) of his collegiate career, 15+ wins in 40 career games, including 12 times in 2017 and 20+ wins in 19 career games, including in nine of Denver’s last 14.
• Baptiste’s 20 ground balls on April 16, 2016 vs. St. John’s broke the DU single-game record and sits ninth in the NCAA record book.
• Baptiste’s 22-for-22 game against Cleveland State on 02/25/18 was the second most faceoff wins without a loss in a single game in NCAA history.
• Baptiste was named a 2017 Tewaaraton Award Finalist in 2017, the third finalist in three years for the Pioneers (Wes Berg - 2015, Connor Cannizzaro - 2016). The Denver senior was also the first faceoff specialist to be named a finalist in the award’s history.
• Denver scored double-digit goals in 26-consecutive games prior to Denver’s 9-8 overtime win at Notre Dame on 03/13/16. The stretch is now 50-of-57.
• The Pioneers have scored double-digit goals 117 times since the arrival of eighth-year head coach Bill Tierney.
• DU is 105-12 when scoring double-digit goals since the start of the 2010 season.
• Denver has scored double-digit goals 136 times since Matt Brown joined the staff full time in 2008. Since 2008, Denver is 120-16.
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
• Denver is 77-5 under head coach Bill Tierney when its defense allows fewer than 10 goals in a game, including a loss in the 2017 National Semifinals.
• The loss when allowing nine goals to Maryland in the National Semis was Denver’s first since the arrival of defensive coordinator John Orsen. Denver is now 30-1 when holding its opponents under 10 goals under Orsen.
• The Pioneers held opponents to under 10 goals in six-straight games from March 21-April 18, 2015 for the first time since the Pioneers held opponents under 10 goals in nine-straight games from March 29-May 18, 2014.
• Denver kept its first shutout since 1971 vs. Commerce City Lacrosse Club on Feb. 26, 2017 vs. Canisius.
• DU turned in the second-best defensive output under Tierney (both last season) on April 22, 2017, holding [20/20] Providence to two scores.
• Denver’s four goals allowed against Notre Dame in the 2017 NCAA Quarters was the best defensive performance by Denver in its NCAA Tournament history.
DENVER ATHLETICS SUCCESS
• Denver Athletics has claimed the I-AAA Directors’ Cup in nine of the last 10 seasons, for the top finish in the Directors’ Cup standings amongst schools without football.
• The Pioneers have claimed 32 National Championships in their history (Skiing 23, Hockey 8, Men’s Lacrosse 1).
• Men’s lacrosse’s Championship Weekend berth in 2017 is one of the athletic department’s 21 DI National Semifinal appearances, including eight since 2011.
• Denver’s 35th place overall Directors’ Cup finish in 2016-17 is the department’s best in its history. DU’s men’s programs finished fifth in the Capital One Cup for the second time in three years.
• Entering 2017-18, the Pioneers are one of eight athletic departments in the country to take home an NCAA title in each of the last four years.
• Denver is 9-7 in overtime under head coach Bill Tierney, winning the last five and eight of its last nine.
HAT TRICK TRIOS
• Denver has had three players record hat tricks in the same game 18 times since the start of the 2014 season (17: vs. Notre Dame, Air Force, Georgetown, at Marquette, Air Force); 16: at North Carolina, St. John’s, vs. Providence; 15: vs. Duke, Georgetown, Providence, at Villanova, vs. Georgetown).
DENVER’S 2018 SCHEDULE
• Seven of the 13 teams on Denver’s 2018 schedule were ranked in the top-25 in the USILA Preseason Poll released in January.
FIFTH SEASON IN THE BIG EAST
• Denver wrapped-up its fourth-consecutive BIG EAST regular season title with a 12-2 win over [20/20] Providence on April 22, 2017. The Crimson and Gold are now 21-0 all-time in BIG EAST regular season play.
• The Pioneers had their 21-game winning streak against conference foes snapped on May 7, 2016 in the BIG EAST Final against Marquette.
SPREADING THE WEALTH
• Denver has had 10 different players score goals in 11 of Denver’s wins since the start of the 2015 season, including three-straight games from Feb. 20-28, 2016. (chart to left). Denver had nine different players score in its 15-6 win over Ohio St and in its 14-11 win over Marquette in 2016, in the 2016 BIG EAST Semifinals vs. Providence, in its win over Villanova on April 9, 2017 and at St. John’s on April 15, 2017.
• Since OC and associate head coach Matt Brown was named a full time assistant in 2008, the Pioneers have had 10 or more players score goals in a game 17 times.
• The Pioneers had five different players score at least two goals 12 times since the start of the 2014 season, including in Denver’s 11-10 2017 win over [1/1] Notre Dame, in Denver’s 2017 BIG EAST opener against Georgetown, in its 16-11 win over Villanova and in its win at St. John’s. (2017: 5 | 2016: 1 | 2015: 4 | 2014: 2).
DEFENDING THE LACROSSE CAPITAL OF THE WEST
• The Pioneers are 90-17 since Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium was built in 2005.
• Denver is 59-8 under head coach Bill Tierney at Peter Barton.
• DU had its 22-game home winning streak snapped on May 7, 2016 against Marquette in the BIG EAST Championship, which at the time was the longest active in the country and finished as the 10th longest home winning streak in NCAA history.
• The Pioneers have recorded 43 sellouts in the history of Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium, including five in 2014 and 2015, nine in 2016 and 10 in 2017.
• DU has sold out its last 23 home games.
• Denver is 33-6 under Tierney in sellouts at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium.
A GAME OF RUNS
• Denver has had 15 10-1 runs or better in games under head coach Bill Tierney, including in Denver’s 2017 NCAA Quarterfinal win over Notre Dame and in Denver’s 2018 win over Cleveland State.
SUMMER BOX LACROSSE EXPERIENCE
• Denver had 12 players play in the Inaugural season of the Colorado Collegiate Box Lacrosse League last summer in Denver, Colo.
• The CCBLL is now one of four leagues that is a part of the newly founded National Collegiate Box Series, with expansion leagues set to take off this summer in Ohio (Columbus/Cleveland).
• Colton McCaffrey and Thomas Tenney lifted the Morrow Cup as the Pioneers’ two members of the 2017 Champion Big Horns. The DU duo combined for 46 goals in the league last summer.
• Denver’s March 3 opponent Furman is home for sophomore attackman Chad Kreuzer, who earned CCBLL MVP honors for the champion Big Horns.
• Michael Cox, Alex Barnes, Zach Runberg and Mikey Pryor played for the Stoneflies, Connor Donahue, Trevor Baptiste, Nate Marano and Dylan Johnson played for the Fighting Bison and Nick Phillips and Colton Jackson played for the Gold Miners.
(6-0, 0-0 ACC)
M. Lacrosse / 3/21/2018 Bill Tierney Radio Show Back on ESPN Denver 1600 at 6:30 p.m. MT
M. Lacrosse / 3/20/2018 [5/5] Denver Welcomes [RV/RV] Towson to Peter Barton Saturday at 12 p.m.
M. Lacrosse / 3/19/2018 Mayle Named BIG EAST Midfielder of the Week
M. Lacrosse / 3/19/2018 Denver Rejoins Top Five in Both Major Polls
M. Lacrosse / 3/17/2018 [6/5] Denver Earns 12-7 Win over [18/19] Ohio State
M. Lacrosse / 3/15/2018 Denver to Sell “The Hill” Saturday
M. Lacrosse / 3/14/2018 Bill Tierney Radio Show to Air Tonight at 4 p.m. MT
M. Lacrosse / 03/13/2018 [6/5] Denver Hosts [18/19] Ohio State Saturday
M. Lacrosse / 03/12/2018 Denver Drops a Spot in Both Polls in Week Five
M. Lacrosse / 03/10/2018 [5/4] Denver Drops 11-9 Game at [10/11] Notre Dame
M. Lacrosse / 03/08/2018 [5/4] Denver and [10/11] Notre Dame Rekindle Rivalry in South Bend Saturday
M. Lacrosse / 03/07/2018 Bill Tierney Radio Show is Back Tonight at 4:30 p.m. MT
M. Lacrosse / 03/05/2018 [5/4] Denver Defeats Previously Unbeaten [8/9] North Carolina, 10-6
M. Lacrosse / 03/06/2018 Baptiste Tabbed BIG EAST Midfielder of the Week
M. Lacrosse / 03/04/2018 [6/5] Denver Travels to [10/10] North Carolina Monday