April 3, 2018
(7-2, 1-0 BIG EAST)
(8-2, 1-0 BIG EAST)
THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
• Denver's defense held the 12th-best scoring offense entering last weekend to five goals in a 6-5 victory last Saturday afternoon at Cooper Field in Washington DC. The Pioneers improved to 22-0 all-time in BIG EAST regular season play with the victory. Faceoff specialist Trevor Baptiste went 12-for-15 in the win with seven ground balls.
• Denver will cap off its BIG EAST-opening two-game road swing this weekend when the Pioneers head to Villanova Friday for a 7 p.m. ET/5 p.m. MT faceoff that will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network and ESPN Denver 1600. The Pioneers lead the all-time series 10-2, having won the last nine match-ups. Two years ago in the last meeting at Villanova, Connor Cannizzaro netted a sock trick in a 12-11 win in a blizzard at Villanova Stadium.
• The Pioneers will return to Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium next weekend to take on St. John's. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. MT, and the game will be broadcast live on Altitude TV and ESPN Denver 1600.
THE TIERNEY FILE
• Head coach Bill Tierney is in his ninth season with the Pioneers, holding a 116-34 record at DU and a 388-127 career record in his 34th season.
• Tierney became the first coach to win National Championships with two different programs in 2015, and has an NCAA-best seven men's lacrosse national titles to his name (six at Princeton).
• Tierney is also the first coach to win 100 of his first 140 games in charge at two different programs.
• Tierney became the third DI coach to record 350 wins in 2015 at Villanova, and is second in wins (388 - RIT/Princeton/Denver 1982-pres.) by a Division I head coach, behind John Danowski (392 - LIU Post/Hofstra/Duke - 1983-pres.).
FIFTH SEASON IN THE BIG EAST
• Denver wrapped-up its fourth-consecutive BIG EAST regular season title with a 12-2 win over [20/20] Providence on April 22, 2017. The Crimson and Gold are now 22-0 all-time in BIG EAST regular season play.
• The Pioneers had their 21-game winning streak against conference foes snapped on May 7, 2016 in the BIG EAST Final against Marquette.
X MARKS THE SPOT
• Faceoff man Trevor Baptiste is 1030-1447 (.712) from the X in his career, setting Denver's school record for career faceoff wins on April 1, 2017 vs. Georgetown, and is second in NCAA history in that category (second in ground balls as well). In Denver's OT win against Towson, Baptiste became the third player in NCAA Division I history to record 1000 faceoff wins.
• Baptiste has had double-digit faceoff wins in 60-of-61 games (2018 opener at Air Force) of his collegiate career, 15+ wins in 42 career games, including 12 times in 2017 and 20+ wins in 20 career games, including in 10 of Denver's last 19.
• Baptiste's 20 ground balls on April 16, 2016 vs. St. John's broke the DU single-game record and sits ninth in the NCAA record book.
• Baptiste's 22-for-22 game against Cleveland State on 02/25/18 was the second most faceoff wins without a loss in a single game in NCAA history.
• Baptiste was named a 2017 Tewaaraton Award Finalist in 2017, the third finalist in three years for the Pioneers (Wes Berg - 2015, Connor Cannizzaro - 2016). The Denver senior was also the first faceoff specialist to be named a finalist.
• Baptiste has scored five goals in the last three games.
• Denver scored double-digit goals in 26-consecutive games prior to Denver's 9-8 overtime win at Notre Dame on 03/13/16. The stretch is now 53-of-62.
• The Pioneers have scored double-digit goals 120 times since the arrival of eighth-year head coach Bill Tierney.
• DU is 108-12 when scoring double-digit goals since the start of the 2010 season.
• Denver has scored double-digit goals 139 times since Matt Brown joined the staff full time in 2008. Since 2008, Denver is 123-16.
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
• Denver is 80-5 under head coach Bill Tierney when its defense allows fewer than 10 goals in a game, including a loss in the 2017 National Semifinals.
• The loss when allowing nine goals to Maryland in the National Semis was Denver's first since the arrival of defensive coordinator John Orsen. Denver is now 33-1 when holding its opponents under 10 goals under Orsen.
• The Pioneers held opponents to under 10 goals in six-straight games from March 21-April 18, 2015 for the first time since the Pioneers held opponents under 10 goals in nine-straight games from March 29-May 18, 2014.
• Denver kept its first shutout since 1971 (Commerce City) on 02/26/17 vs. Canisius.
• DU turned in the second-best defensive output under Tierney (both last season) on April 22, 2017, holding [20/20] Providence to two scores.
• Denver's four goals allowed against Notre Dame in the 2017 NCAA Quarters was the best defensive performance by Denver in its NCAA Tournament history.
• The Pioneers held Ohio State without a goal in a stretch of 26:10 to propel a 9-0 run in the Pioneers win.
• Denver caused 11 turnovers in its win over Ohio State on March 17, the most takeaways since recording 15 against Georgetown on March 29, 2014.
• The Pioneers have held opponents to five goals twice in 2018, including on March 31 at Georgetown in a 6-5 win.
• Denver's offensive goal total was its lowest since March 1, 2008, a 9-6 loss at UMBC, and its lowest goal total in a win since defeating [RV] Brown 6-4 on March 4, 2000 at the Mile High City.
• 11 total goals (3/31 at GTOWN) is the lowest in a DU game since 04/07/09, a 10-1 win over Detroit.
HAT TRICK TRIOS
• Denver has had three players record hat tricks in the same game 18 times since the start of the 2014 season (17: vs. Notre Dame, Air Force, Georgetown, at Marquette, Air Force); 16: at North Carolina, St. John's, vs. Providence; 15: vs. Duke, Georgetown, Providence, at Villanova, vs. Georgetown).
DENVER'S 2018 SCHEDULE
• Seven of the 13 teams on Denver's 2018 schedule were ranked in the top-25 in the USILA Preseason Poll released in January. If the Pioneers reach Championship Weekend for the sixth time in eight years in 2018, Denver will have traveled over 30,000 miles this season.
DENVER ATHLETICS SUCCESS
• Denver Athletics has claimed the I-AAA Directors' Cup in nine of the last 10 seasons, for the top finish in the Directors' Cup standings amongst schools without football.
• The Pioneers have claimed 33 National Championships in their history (Skiing 24, Hockey 8, Men's Lacrosse 1).
• Men's lacrosse's Championship Weekend berth in 2017 is one of the athletic department's 21 DI National Semifinal appearances, including eight since 2011.
• Denver's 35th place overall Directors' Cup finish in 2016-17 is the department's best in its history. DU's men's programs finished fifth in the Capital One Cup for the second time in three years.
• The Pioneers are one of four athletic program across the country to win at least one National Championship in each of the last five years (Skiing 2013-14, 2015-16, 2017-18 | Men's Lacrosse 2014-15 | Hockey 2016-17). Stanford, Florida and Penn State are the other three programs on the list, and only Oregon, West Virginia, Oklahoma and Ohio State can join the list.
DEFENDING THE LACROSSE CAPITAL OF THE WEST
• The Pioneers are 92-17 since Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium was built in 2005.
• Denver is 61-8 under head coach Bill Tierney at Peter Barton.
• DU had its 22-game home winning streak snapped on May 7, 2016 against Marquette in the BIG EAST Championship, which at the time was the longest active in the country and finished as the 10th longest home winning streak in NCAA history.
• The Pioneers have recorded 46 non-exhibition sellouts in the history of Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium, including five in 2014 and 2015, eight in 2016 and 10 in 2017.
• DU has sold out its last 26 home games.
• Denver is 36-6 under Tierney in sellouts at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium.
SPREADING THE WEALTH
• Denver has had 10 different players score goals in 11 of Denver's wins since the start of the 2015 season, including three-straight games from Feb. 20-28, 2016. (chart to left). Denver had nine different players score in its 15-6 win over Ohio St and in its 14-11 win over Marquette in 2016, in the 2016 BIG EAST Semifinals vs. Providence, in its win over Villanova on April 9, 2017 and at St. John's on April 15, 2017.
• Since OC and associate head coach Matt Brown was named a full time assistant in 2008, the Pioneers have had 10 or more players score goals in a game 17 times.
• The Pioneers have had five different players score at least two goals 13 times since the start of the 2014 season, including in Denver's 12-7 win over Ohio State. (2018: 1 | 2017: 5 | 2016: 1 | 2015: 4 | 2014: 2).
A GAME OF RUNS
• Denver has had 16 10-1 runs or better in games under head coach Bill Tierney, including in Denver's 12-7 victory over Ohio State in March of 2018.
SUMMER BOX LACROSSE EXPERIENCE
• Denver had 12 players play in the Inaugural season of the Colorado Collegiate Box Lacrosse League last summer in Denver, Colo.
• The CCBLL is now one of four leagues that is a part of the newly founded National Collegiate Box Series, with expansion leagues set to take off this summer in Ohio (Columbus/Cleveland).
• Colton McCaffrey and Thomas Tenney lifted the Morrow Cup as the Pioneers' two members of the 2017 Champion Big Horns. The DU duo combined for 46 goals in the league last summer.
• Denver's March 3 opponent Furman is home for sophomore attackman Chad Kreuzer, who earned CCBLL MVP honors for the champion Big Horns.
• Michael Cox, Alex Barnes, Zach Runberg and Mikey Pryor played for the Stoneflies, Connor Donahue, Trevor Baptiste, Nate Marano and Dylan Johnson played for the Fighting Bison and Nick Phillips and Colton Jackson played for the Gold Miners.
RECENT NCAA TOURNAMENT SUCCESS
• Denver is one of six programs to qualify for the NCAA Tournament every year since 2010 (Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Notre Dame, Syracuse). DU won its first NCAA Championship in 2015.
• The Pioneers have reached Championship Weekend in five of the last seven years.
• Denver is one of four teams (Syracuse, Maryland, Notre Dame) to host a first round game in each of the last five years.
• Denver is 10-6 in overtime under head coach Bill Tierney, winning the last six and nine of its last 10.
Ethan Walker HITS THE CENTURY MARK
• Sophomore Ethan Walker became the fastest Pioneer to reach 100 points in program history on Saturday, doing so in 23 games on 59 goals and 41 assists.
• Walker's chase to the century mark was six games faster than any other Pioneerin Denver's Division I history.
• The Denver sophomore has 5+ points and 4+ goals in four games this season.
• The Pioneers came from 5-1 down to defeat Towson 11-10 in overtime on March 24, Denver's first four-goal comeback in a win since the 2015 NCAA Quarterfinals against Ohio State (Pioneers trailed 7-1 early in the second quarter, won 15-13).
• Denver came from 4-1 down at halftime and 5-3 down entering the fourth quarter in its 6-5 win at Georgetown on March 31. Colin Rutan scored his second-straight game-winner in the victory.
The Last Meeting
April 9, 2017
Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium
Baptiste Posts First Career Hat Trick in [5/5] Denver's Win over [18/18] Villanova
DENVER -Junior faceoff specialist Trevor Baptiste continued his incredible season on Sunday afternoon, posting his first career hat trick while finishing 23-for-28 from the X to lead the [5/5] University of Denver men's lacrosse program past [18/18] Villanova, 16-11 in-front of the 21st-straight sellout at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium.