May 4, 2018
(12-2, 5-0 BIG EAST)
(11-4, 3-2 BIG EAST)
THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
• Senior faceoff specialist Trevor Baptiste (Denville, N.J.) won his 1,118th career faceoff to break the NCAA Division I men's lacrosse record in the closing seconds of Denver's 10-7 victory over Marquette in the BIG EAST Semifinals on Thursday evening at Villanova Stadium. Junior attackman Austin French (Danville, Calif.) scored half of Denver's goals and added an assist for a six-point night.
• In a rematch of the 2015 BIG EAST Final at Villanova Stadium, the Pioneers and Hoyas will meet once again on the suburban Philadelphia campus with the 2018 BIG EAST Championship trophy on the line. Denver is a perfect 6-0 all-time against the Hoyas, but Georgetown held the Pioneers to their lowest goal total of the year in the regular season meeting between the two teams at the end of March in Washington (DU won 6-5).
• The 2018 NCAA Tournament Selection show will be broadcast live on ESPNU at 7 p.m. MT on Sunday night.
THE TIERNEY FILE
• Head coach Bill Tierney is in his ninth season with the Pioneers, holding a 121-34 record at DU and a 393-127 career record in his 34th season.
• Tierney became the first coach to win National Championships with two different programs in 2015, and has an NCAA-best seven men's lacrosse national titles to his name (six at Princeton).
• Tierney is also the first coach to win 100 of his first 140 games in charge at two different programs.
• Tierney became the third DI coach to record 350 wins in 2015 at Villanova, and is second in wins (393 - RIT/Princeton/Denver 1982-pres.) by a Division I head coach, behind John Danowski (395 - LIU Post/Hofstra/Duke - 1983-pres.).
FIFTH SEASON IN THE BIG EAST
• Denver wrapped-up its fifth-consecutive outright BIG EAST regular season title with a 7-4 win over Marquette on April 28. The Crimson and Gold are now 26-0 all-time in BIG EAST regular season play.
• The Pioneers had their 21-game winning streak against conference foes snapped on May 7, 2016 in the BIG EAST Final against Marquette.
X MARKS THE SPOT
• Faceoff man Trevor Baptiste is 1118-1557 (.718) from the X in his career, setting the NCAA Division I career faceoff wins record in the Pioneers BIG EAST Semifinal win over Marquette. Baptiste became the third player in NCAA Division I history to record 1000 faceoff wins in Denver's win over Towson.
• Baptiste has had double-digit faceoff wins in 65-of-66 games (2018 opener at Air Force) of his collegiate career, 15+ wins in 45 career games, including eight times in 2018 and 20+ wins in 21 career games, including in 11 of DU's last 24.
• Baptiste's 20 ground balls on April 16, 2016 vs. St. John's broke the DU single-game record and sits ninth in the NCAA record book.
• Baptiste's 22-for-22 game against Cleveland State on 02/25/18 was the second most faceoff wins without a loss in a single game in NCAA history.
• Baptiste was named a 2017 Tewaaraton Award Finalist in 2017, the third finalist in three years for the Pioneers (Wes Berg - 2015, Connor Cannizzaro - 2016). The Denver senior was also the first faceoff specialist to be named a finalist.
• Baptiste has scored seven goals in the last eight games.
• The Pioneers have scored double-digit goals 124 times since the arrival of eighth-year head coach Bill Tierney.
• DU is 112-12 when scoring double-digit goals since the start of the 2010 season.
• Denver has scored double-digit goals 143 times since Matt Brown joined the staff full time in 2008. Since 2008, Denver is 127-16.
• Sophomore Ethan Walker and Duke's Justin Guterding are the only two players in the country that are in the top 17 in both goals per game and shooting percentage. Walker is second in goals per game (3.14) and eight in shooting percentage (.518).
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
• Denver is 85-5 under head coach Bill Tierney when its defense allows fewer than 10 goals in a game, including a loss in the 2017 National Semifinals.
• The loss when allowing nine goals to Maryland in the National Semis was Denver's first since the arrival of defensive coordinator John Orsen. Denver is now 38-1 when holding its opponents under 10 goals under Orsen.
• The Pioneers held opponents to under 10 goals in six-straight games from March 21-April 18, 2015 for the first time since the Pioneers held opponents under 10 goals in nine-straight games from March 29-May 18, 2014.
• Denver kept its first shutout since 1971 (Commerce City) on 02/26/17 vs. Canisius.
• DU turned in the second-best defensive output under Tierney (both last season) on April 22, 2017, holding [20/20] Providence to two scores.
• Denver's four goals allowed against Notre Dame in the 2017 NCAA Quarters was the best defensive performance by Denver in its NCAA Tournament history.
• The Pioneers held Ohio State without a goal in a stretch of 26:10 to propel a 9-0 run in the Pioneers 2018 win. DU held Marquette without a goal in the opening 26:28 of the regular season contest in a 4-1 Denver first half.
• Denver caused 11 turnovers in its win over Ohio State on March 17, the most takeaways since recording 15 against Georgetown on March 29, 2014.
• Denver's offensive goal total vs. Georgetown was its lowest since March 1, 2008, a 9-6 loss at UMBC, and its lowest goal total in a win since defeating [RV] Brown 6-4 on March 4, 2000 at the Mile High City.
• 11 total goals (3/31 at GTOWN and 4/28 vs Marquette) is the lowest in a DU game since 04/07/09, a 10-1 win over Detroit.
• The Pioneers came from 5-1 down to defeat Towson 11-10 in overtime on March 24, Denver's first four-goal comeback in a win since the 2015 NCAA Quarterfinals against Ohio State (Pioneers trailed 7-1 early in the second quarter, won 15-13).
• Denver came from 4-1 down at halftime and 5-3 down entering the fourth quarter in its 6-5 win at Georgetown on March 31. Colin Rutan scored his second-straight game-winner in the victory.
CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• Denver has played conference tournaments in three different conferences since turning Division I in 1999.
• The Pioneers have won three conference tournament titles in their history. DU won the 2011 ECAC Tournament in Denver, and the 2014 and 2015 BIG EAST Tournaments at Villanova.
• DU is 5-0 all-time in conference tournament games at Villanova, winning the first four by at least seven goals, including a 16-8 win over Georgetown.
• Of its five conference tournament losses in its history, the Pioneers have lost to Ohio State twice (GWLL/ECAC) and to Marquette twice (2016&2017 BIG EAST).
A GAME OF RUNS
• Denver has had 18 10-1 runs or better in games under head coach Bill Tierney, including in Denver's consecutive games against Villanova and St. John's in 2018.
RECENT NCAA TOURNAMENT SUCCESS
• Denver is one of six programs to qualify for the NCAA Tournament every year since 2010 (Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Notre Dame, Syracuse). DU won its first NCAA Championship in 2015.
• The Pioneers have reached Championship Weekend in five of the last seven years.
• Denver is one of four teams (Syracuse, Maryland, Notre Dame) to host a first round game in each of the last five years.
KEEPING IT OUT OF THE NET
• The Pioneers held their conference opponents to 27 goals in the five regular season conference games.
• During Denver's 2015 National Championship season, the Pioneers held five-consecutive opponents to a combined 28 goals (at Lehigh, vs. Penn State, Georgetown, Villanova, at St. John's).
• The Pioneers have held opponents to six goals or less seven times in 2018, including in each of DU's five BIG EAST regular contests. 2018 marks the first time in Denver's program history (dating back to club status in 1966) that the Pioneers have held five-straight opponents to under six goals.
• The 27-goals allowed over the five BIG EAST regular season games is the program's lowest in a five game stretch since 1970 when Denver held Colorado (2), Colorado State (6), Colorado College (8), Denver Lacrosse Club (4) and Colorado College (3) to a combined 23 goals.
• Denver enters Saturday's BIG EAST Final on an eight-game winning streak and winners of 11 of their last 12.
• The Pioneers won 13 of their first 14 games in the 2016 season before dropping the BIG EAST Final to Marquette and the NCAA First Round to Towson. Denver won the first seven games of that season.
• DU won its final 13 games of the 2015 season en route to the National Championship after entering the BIG EAST Tournament on a seven-game winning streak.
• The Crimson and Gold won 13-straight before falling to No. 1 Duke in the 2014 National Semifinals. DU entered Championship Weekend that season winners of 15-of-16.
• Denver reached Championship Weekend for the first time in program history in 2011, entering the national semis on a 12-game winning streak, and winners of 15-of-16.
• The Pioneers entered the 2010 NCAA Tournament on a nine-game winning streak (W 11-of-12) in Bill Tierney's first season at Denver.
• DU's longest Division I winning streak prior to Bill Tierney's arrival was a seven-game winning streak entering the 2006 NCAA Tournament.
• Denver is 10-6 in overtime under head coach Bill Tierney, winning the last six and nine of its last 10.
THE CENTURY MARK
• Sophomore Ethan Walker became the fastest Pioneer to reach 100 points in program history, doing so in 23 games on 59 goals and 41 assists.
• Austin French also joined the 100 point club this season, doing so in his 44th career game (vs. St. John's), the 12th fastest to achieve the milestone in the program's DI history.
• Walker's chase to the century mark was six games faster than any other Pioneer in Denver's Division I history.
The Last Meeting
March 31, 2018
[3/3] Denver's Defense Leads Pios to 6-5 Win at [RV/RV] Georgetown
WASHINGTON D.C. -- Senior faceoff specialist Trevor Baptiste (Denville, N.J.) moved into second in career faceoff wins in NCAA Division I history, and the [3/3] University of Denver men's lacrosse defense matched its season low output of the year, holding [RV/RV] Georgetown to five in a 6-5 win on Saturday afternoon at Cooper Field.