Academic Advising

The University of Denver utilizes a multi-tiered system of academic advising with departmental faculty serving as the primary contact.

First-Year Seminars
First-Year Seminars are designed to provide students with an in-depth academic experience that will be rigorous and engaging. Faculty members have selected course topics about which they have particular expertise and enthusiasm. Instructors of the First-Year Seminars will also serve as students' academic advisers and faculty mentors for the first two quarters regardless of declared major, and then until the student has officially declared a major. Students meet individually with their mentor for advising and registration help. In addition, faculty mentors are a good source of support for students if they need assistance any time during their first year and beyond.

Undeclared Advising
In addition to the first year seminar adviser, a student who has not declared a major can find assistance through his or her athletics counselor or The Center for Academic and Career Development. These general advisers can assist students in exploring majors, answering questions about schedules and University Requirements, and provide information about University academic policies.

Departmental Advising
Students with declared majors (per NCAA regulations, student-athletes must declare by the beginning of their third year) will work with an adviser in their specific academic department.  Individual departments assign advisers in various ways, so it is best to check with the department regarding specific advisers. Departmental advisers are the best resource for advanced students seeking guidance with course selection and academic planning.

Student-Athlete Support Services Planning Meetings
Each year student-athletes should schedule a planning meeting with their athletics counselor. At this meeting, a degree plan is developed for new students or evaluated for returning students with consideration of NCAA degree progress requirements. Any decisions regarding choice of major are also discussed. Progress toward fulfillment of the University and major requirements, as well as normal progress toward graduation and preliminary graduation checks are addressed in this meeting.

General Degree Information

Major/Minor Requirements

When a student wishes to declare a major or change a major, a Major Declaration Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar's Office. An overall GPA of 2.0 is usually required. To declare or change a minor, the student may do so on-line at

At the University of Denver, all students pursuing a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree will need to complete two minors, those pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree will need one minor, and those seeking a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), or a Bachelor of Music (BM) need not declare a minor. 

Academic Progress Report
The Academic Progress Report (APR) provides a cumulative record of students' progress toward fulfilling degree requirements, as well as grade point average (GPA). The APR gives a synopsis of major and minor requirements, University requirements, and electives. The APR is an essential tool for effective advising. Students may access and print their APR by connecting to their Myweb account and viewing options under 'Student and Financial Aid'. Students should print their APR prior to all advising sessions and utilize it as an advising resource.


Early Registration
Early registration is provided to student-athletes to assist in balancing academic and athletic commitments. It is intended to help student-athletes schedule classes around practices and minimize class absences due to excused athletic team travel. It is the responsibility of student-athletes to be aware of early registration dates and to take advantage of the opportunity.

Credit Load
A full-time undergraduate student may enroll in 12-19 quarter hours each term. However, the tuition "flat-rate" is set at 12-18 hours; therefore each quarter hour taken in excess of 18 hours is charged at the current hourly tuition rate. Please be aware per NCAA regulations, an athletics tuition grant can only cover  up to 18 hours of credit; credit hours above 18 must be paid by the student-athlete.

Registration Holds
Holds may be placed on registration as a result of campus judicial problems; missing documentation for health insurance coverage, medical vaccinations, or international student status; delinquent payments for parking fines, student account charges (tuition, room and board, etc), or library fines; and academic problems through the Center for Academic and Career Development. It is the student-athlete's responsibility to be aware of his/her student records. This information may be accessed through Myweb.

Drop-Add Advising
Should a student need to change his/her course schedule once classes have started for the quarter, the Student-Athlete Support Services Office will work with him/her to adjust the schedule according to the student's needs. Adjustments may be necessary due to: changes in practice schedules, conflicting extra-curricular activities, or failure in a previous prerequisite course. If a student wishes to make schedule changes, please see an athletic adviser in the first week of classes. Generally, students are not allowed to add classes after the first five class days.  Support Services will ensure that when a student drops a course, he/she remains academically eligible and continues to make normal progress toward completion of a degree.

Transfer of Credit by Continuing Students

If enrollment at the University is interrupted by attendance at another institution (including Study Abroad), a student must obtain prior approval from the Center for Academic and Career Development to ensure transfer of credit. Approval forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and The Center for Academic and Career Development. Students can find a list of Department Contacts here.

Grading Policies

It is the student's responsibility at all times to know his or her academic status. This includes knowing how many credits he or she has, as well as his or her grade point-average (GPA). The University of Denver uses a 4.00 grading system in which the following marks apply: .

A = 4.00 To compute one's GPA, first multiply the quarter credit hours in each graded course by the grade point awarded. Second, total the grade points earned for the quarter or to date. Third, divide this by the total number of quarter hours of credit attempted, including courses failed and excluding courses in which letter grades were not assigned. Using this formula, an "incomplete" will count zero points and zero hours until a grade is recorded.  In order to graduate from the University of Denver, a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale must be earned in most academic programs.
A- = 3.70
B+ = 3.30
B = 3.00
B- = 2.70
C+ = 2.30
C = 2.00
C- = 1.70
D+ = 1.30
D = 1.00
D- = 0.70
F = 0.00

Grades of "Incomplete"
In certain extenuating circumstances, a student may request an incomplete grade for a course, which allows for additional time to complete course requirements. Incompletes are not automatic and are granted entirely at the instructor's discretion. All work must be completed by the approved deadline (maximum time allowed is one year or the grade of "I" is changed to an "F"). While the "I" remains on a student's transcript, it does not affect his/her GPA. Please note, however, an incomplete does not count toward the 12 hour average student-athletes must complete every quarter to maintain their eligibility.

Class Standing
Quarter class standing is determined by the number of credits you have completed and will impact your ability to enroll in courses that have class standing restrictions (e.g., students must have completed at least 90 hours to enroll in core classes):

Freshmen 1-44 hours
Sophomore 45-90 hours
Junior 91-134 hours
Senior 135 or more credits



Top Stories



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago