Denver Continues Three-Match Road Swing at Oral Roberts Thursday
The Pioneers will head to ORU for fourth of seven Summit League matches
Oct. 10, 2017
PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
• Denver improved to 2-1 in Summit League play with a 2-1 win at South Dakota last Friday in the Pioneers’ lone match of the weekend. The three points were Denver’s first on the road in the 2017 campaign.
• Denver will close out a three-match Summit League road swing this weekend when they head to both Oral Roberts (Oct. 12/6 p.m. MT) and Omaha (Oct. 15/12 p.m. MT).
• DU will host Senior Day on Oct. 22 when the Pioneers welcome Western Illinois to the University of Denver Soccer Stadium to cap-off a busy Homecoming Weekend at the Daniel L. Ritchie Center.
HEAD COACH Jeff Hooker
• Denver’s Jeff Hooker is in his 26th season in charge of the women’s program. Hooker coached his 500th women’s match at DU on his 2016 regular season trip to Fargo.
• Hooker coached both the men’s and the women’s programs during the 1996 and 1997 seasons, making this officially his 28th season as a head coach at DU.
• DU’s head man enters this match with a 333-142-44 women’s record, and a career record of 353-154-48.
• The nine-time conference coach of the year will look for his 10th NCAA Tournament appearance in 2017.
• In league play in his career, Hooker is 160-35-13, including 155-31-13 with the women’s program.
• Among active head coaches, Hooker entered the 2017 season as the 26th winningest head coach by percentage (.690) and the 15th winningest coach by victories (327).
• In the overall NCAA record books heading into this season, Hooker is the 34th winningest head coach by victories (327).
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
• Senior outside back Makenzie Bothner and junior midfielder Mary DeWalt will serve as captains for the 2017 Pioneers.
• Bothner was named the 2016 Summit League Defensive Player of the Year.
• DeWalt has made 48 CAPS in her career (1G-5A).
DANCY’S RECORD SETTING PACE
• After just two goals in her first three seasons as a Pioneer, senior Jessie Dancy became the first player in DU women’s soccer’s Division I history to score five goals in the program’s first six games of a regular season in 2017.
• Seven players scored four times in the first six matches in DU’s DI history: Kristen Hamilton (2011 and 2013), Nicholette DiGiacomo (2013), Kaitlin Bast (2010), Kalie Vaughn (2010), Jenna Billingsley (2007), Jenni Harris (2003) and Molly George (2001).
• Dancy had six goals through nine matches, making her and sophomore Hannah Adler the first two players to score at least six goals in the first nine matches of a season since Kristen Hamilton scored seven in the first nine to start the 2013 campaign.
• Following her three-goal weekend in the opening weekend of Summit League play to earn Summit League Offensive Player of the Week honors, Dancy was sitting on nine goals through her first 13 matches of the season, one of four players to do that since 2006.
• On that list, Dancy joins Tayrn Hemmings (2008 - 10 goals), Kaitlin Bast (2010 - 9 goals) and Kristen Hamilton (2011 - 9 goals).
• With the victory against Omaha on Oct. 30, 2016, Denver claimed a share of its eighth NCAA Division I regular season league conference title, and its second in the Summit League (2013)...The Pioneers won the regular season in their only year in the WAC (2012) and won five regular season titles in the Sun Belt (2002, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010).
• The Pioneers have won eight league tournament titles in their Division I history and 2017 was their first since 2013 (Summit)...Denver won seven Sun Belt Conference Tournament Titles (2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009).
THE TWO Cs
• 14 of Denver’s 21 players are from either Colorado or California, including 11 from the state of Colorado. Of the two major club programs in the state of Colorado, Denver has five players from the Colorado Storm and five from Real Colorado.
• Three of Denver’s five freshmen join the program from Colorado Storm in Brittney Lewis, Taylor Parker and Meg Halvorson. Sophomore centerback Cheyenne Shorts also played with the trio during their pre-collegiate days. Denver’s Colorado Storm teammates were featured on Altitude during halftime of the Altitude broadcast on Sept. 29.
THE 2017 CAMPAIGN
• Denver opened its 2017 campaign with wins at home against Air Force and in a neutral site match against Colorado State in Boulder. Both matches were 1-0 extra time wins for the Pioneers, the first time Denver had gone to extra time in its first two matches in its Division I history. Denver opened its season with three-straight matches and four of its first six in extra time.
• The Pioneers won their first two matches for the sixth time in their Division I history and the first time since 2013 (2003, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013).
• DU started the 2013 campaign winners of its first seven and went unbeaten in its first eight matches.
• Denver was unbeaten through four matches for the sixth time in its Division I history (2002, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2017).
• Hannah Adler, who led Denver in goals (4) and points (12) a season ago, already has 18 points (7G-4A) in 14 matches in 2017, including seven points Aug. 25-27 to earn Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week Honors.
• Senior Jessie Dancy leads the Pioneers with 19 points on nine goals and one assist.
• Dancy leads the Summit League in goals with nine, four more goals than the next closest opponent. Adler is second in the Summit League with seven goals and is second in the Summit League in assists with four.
• Freshman holding midfielder Brittney Lewis is tied for fourth in the league with three assists.
• Denver, Oral Roberts and South Dakota State are level on points in second in the Summit League table with six. SDSU has two games in hand on leader North Dakota State (9pts), and DU and ORU have a game in hand on the table-toppers.
• Thru games played last weekend, Jessie Dancy is 20th in the country in goals with nine and 46th in the country in points with 19.
W. Soccer / 3/12/2018 Denver Announces 2018 Girls Spring College ID Camp
W. Soccer / 2/27/2018 Denver Women’s Soccer Announces Spring Schedule
W. Soccer / 2/12/2018 Denver Women's Soccer Signs 10 to 2018 Roster
W. Soccer / 2/7/2018 Signing Day Central
W. Soccer / 1/29/2018 Denver Women's Soccer Announces Winter ID Camp
W. Soccer / 12/15/2017 Bothner Named to United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-West Region Second Team
W. Soccer / 12/6/2017 Season Recap: A Trophy and a Trip to the NCAAs Has Denver Back On Track
W. Soccer / 11/22/2017 Adler and Wilson Named to Summit League Academic Team
W. Soccer / 11/12/2017 Denver Falls to Colorado in NCAA First Round, 2-1
W. Soccer / 11/08/2017 Denver Takes on Colorado in NCAA First Round Sunday
W. Soccer / 11/06/2017 Denver Heading to Colorado for NCAA First Round
W. Soccer / 11/05/2017 Pioneers to Host Selection Show Watch Party Monday at Crimson and Gold
W. Soccer / 11/04/2017 Pacheco's 85th Minute Winner Lifts Denver to Summit League Crown
W. Soccer / 11/03/2017 Denver Set to Battle North Dakota State in Summit League Final
W. Soccer / 11/02/2017 Denver Advances to Summit League Final